25.5 minutes one way is 51 minutes per day
51 minutes x 5 days per week is 255 minute per week
255 minutes x 50 weeks per year is 12,750 minutes
12,750 minutes is 8.8 days per year in your car.
9 days a year is way too much time to waste. So how do you make better use of your commute?
Catch up on phone calls.
Depending on where you live, this may not be an option but if it is, this is a great way to keep in touch with friends and family you have a hard time finding time to call. I usually call my mom one morning per week.
Go to School
Ever wanted to learn US history, how to write an iPhone app, or even Theology but didn’t think you could find the time? You can and it’s free. Yep, 100% free if you have a iPhone. Apple has a service called iTunes U where schools like Stanford, Yale and Oxford publish lectures from some of their best professors and instructors.
Listen to Podcasts
This is what I do. Over the years I’ve discovered some podcasts that have great content (again, FREE).
- EntreLeader- This podcast is all about Dave Ramsey teaching you how to run a business. Sadly the quality of this one has gone down since the original host left, but there is still enough of Ramsey’s common sense advice to make it worth your time.
- Andy Stanley Leadership Podcast- Great thoughts on leading any type of organization from a guy who’s been doing it for over 20 years.
- This Week in Tech- THE podcast to keep up with what’s happening and on the horizon in the tech world featuring Leo Laporte
This next podcasts is not for anyone who can’t buy a ticket to or who doesn’t like R-rated movies. The language can be VERY rough. You’ve been Warned! Don’t write me hate mail if you listen and get offended by the language.
- Marc Maron- Maron was a down and out stand-up comedian when he started doing a podcast from his garage back in 2009. Now he’s insanely popular because he’s smart and has developed into a great interviewer.
Listen to Sermons
The amount of great bible teaching and preaching available online is amazing. A few of my favorites are:
- Brian Mayfield- One of the best local church preachers out there
- Dr. Brett Burleson- Love this guy’s teaching but I’m biased because we used to worke together.
- Andy Stanley- maybe my favorite preacher. Insanely practical but still very biblical.
- Rick White- Great teacher who knows how to relate to anybody
- Bruxy Cavey- Canadian pastor who is crazy smart.
- Mark Driscoll- the cussing preacher, although I do prefer his older stuff.
Old School Preachers
- Johnny Hunt- If you like your preacher to have a little volume and occasionally give a big foot stomp, Johnny is your guy
- Mac Brunson- Maybe the most well-read preacher’s you’ll ever hear.
- Adrian Rogers- Yes he’s dead, but my-gosh, that voice! It’s like God is talking directly to you.
- David Jeremiah- Maybe the best pure bible teacher alive.
OK so that’s what you should do, now here’s what you shouldn’t do
- Tweet-OK, so maybe I don’t always follow my own advice, but the world deserves to know I just got cut off!
- Sit in the left lane blocking me.
Now you know how to build a better you instead of listening to some stupid morning radio show or flipping off the guy who just cut you off the next time you’re stuck in traffic.
PS Know any podcasts or preachers I should be listening to? Leave a comment.